For all those who really want to cut down on that stubborn fat, keto is here! Keto diet is one sucessful way to lose fat, more often even without exercise!
What is a keto diet??
A ketogenic diet is one of its kind diet that consists of a low carb, moderate protein and a high fat intake. It is also known as LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) or Paleo diet.
Yes, it’s a high fat diet and still reduces weight!! Amazing! Isn’t it?
Our body is very adaptive to anything you train it for. So, when you cut down on carbohydrates (the usual energy source) and replace it with fats, our body switches to use fats as the energy source.
Alternatively, when carb intake in body is low, liver breaks down fats to ketone bodies for an alternate source of energy and this process is called the ketosis.
So, in a keto diet we basically are training our body to get into this ketosis state.
Though, ketogenic diet might seem like a new fad diet but it dates back to 1920s and compared to other diets that come and go, this diet is based on sound understanding and knowledge of physiology and nutritional science.
NOTE : Keto diet is not advisable for lactating mothers or people under medication for BP, sugar, cholesterol or heart related issues of any kind without prior medical consultation.
The basic macros of a keto diet
One needs to maintain a certain proportion in each fats, proteins and carbohydrates while on a keto diet.
The keto diet also has amazing benefits
- The most popular benefit of keto is a rapid and healthy weight loss.
- It helps in controlling blood pressure and blood sugar levels.
- This diet also reverses the type 2 diabetes.
- It also increases energy levels.
- It helps in dealing with Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Apart from physical health, it improves mental focus.
- It is most widely used to treat Epilepsy.